There have previously been five completed phases with 2018 marking the beginning of phase six of development on the site.
The information in this brief history has been gathered from archived maps and pictures alongside conclusions drawn from historical knowledge of the eras.
The earliest activity recorded on the site dates back to medieval times and the first settlement, a mill, is suggested to have existed on the site in 1086. The court rolls indicate that it stood on a high road near a bridge, close to the border of Laugherne Brook. The mill referenced here is not believed to be the same mill we have now. Sometime before 1294 the former mill was granted to the Cathedral Monastery. Features that have origins within these periods are the mill pond and mill race.
The site was developed further between the years 1868 and 1873 as a corn mill, almost all the buildings that were built at this time remained on-site and these buildings were altered and extended from 1900 when the site first became an ice works.
The mill has six-storeys: each floor to the road side elevation has an off-centre door which would grant access out to the street for loading and offloading. The fifth and sixth floors’ doors are covered by a lucam (a roof structure that projects out to house a hoist), the lucam has a trap door in its floor which was used to transport flour sacks and later ice blocks.
The Watermill Court and Brook Court Apartment blocks will be located where there was previously a two-storey building and a freestanding Nissen hut dating from 1934 to the third year of WW2 (1942).
The main aspiration for the scheme is to refurbish and enhance the mill retaining many of its historic features; this exciting work will be seen in phase two. In phase one we shall see Brook Court and Watermill Court emerge, designed sympathetically to reflect the architecture of the mill and respect the heritage of this site.